Monday 27 April 2020

The Buchanan Arms Hotel in Drymen.


Steps walked: 7411.
Furthest point travelled: 0.5 mile.
Face to face non-household interactions: 0.
Track of the day: ‘Blue Monday’ – Fats Domino.

            Today has been a bit of a ‘thinking about the pilgrimage’ day. I should have been meeting two friends at a hotel in Drymen this evening, and together we were going to walk a couple of days of the West Highland Way; a beautiful stretch along the banks of Loch Lomond. It hasn’t helped that today has been, I think, the first day when I’ve chalked up zero ‘face to face non-household interactions.’ And the hotel had a pool and sauna! Time for a beer.

            Running through the park first thing this morning, I noticed a woman walking towards me who was walking with her eyes closed. She was heading north, the dawn light was illuminating her right cheek, and I guess she was being guided by the warmth of the rising sun.
           
            Later in the day the boys and I cycled to a park near the A10. Suddenly, Barnaby turned philosophical: “We’ve been through climate change, and now we’ve got to deal with the coronavirus.”  I didn’t have the heart to tell him the bad news about climate change.

1 comment:

  1. It is sad indeed that we didn't get to meet you today. I had spent several months imagining the views I would've seen on this trip, but I guess I should carry on imagining. I'm sure we will do this trip one day.

    ReplyDelete

The stories are endless.

Leg Five - Selkirk to Melrose. Distance: 11.6 miles (69.6 total) Time: 4 hrs 58 mins. Wildlife: Rabbit, heron, jumping deer, not jumping fro...