Friday 24 April 2020

Small and Precious Orbits.


Steps walked: 19218 (early jog, and two trips to the North Mid and back).
Furthest point travelled: 1 mile. Hospital Chapel.
Face to face non-household interactions: Over a dozen again, what with one thing and the other.
Track of the day: ‘Crazy’ – Patsy Cline.

            The week before Boris closed the pub, I had the coronavirus half a dozen times or so; well, I thought I did. Was that a cough, or the cough? Was I feeling a bit hot in bed because I’d forgotten to open the window, or because, you know. I read that fatigue was an early symptom; the next day I was sunk in lethargy. You get the picture: maybe you’ve been through something similar. That week I kept an electronic thermometer near the front door, and checked myself obsessively every time I was getting ready to leave the house; I didn’t want to be out and about putting other people at risk.
            The fact is, I was paying attention to myself with almost morbid scrupulousness; every modest fluctuation in my health was noticed, logged, and fretted over.
            Paying close attention.
            There’s a strange kind of attentiveness when I’m on a long distance walk. Three things I focus on in particular; the ground beneath my feet (don’t want to trip or stub a toe), the high far horizon (what weather is heading my way?), and how my body is doing (is that niggle in my heel just a momentary discomfort, or the start of a blister?). It’s wonderfully liberating to have such limited and clearly defined concerns, for hour upon hour and mile upon mile.
            Paying close attention.
            As this lockdown lengthens like shadows at dusk, I think we’re probably going to need to be paying close attention to ourselves. Did I just snap at the boys because they’re being annoying, or? Am I feeling tired because I haven’t had enough fluids today, or? Am I just feeling sad, or? It’s going to be a time for paying attention, a time for paying close attention, to ourselves and those in our small and precious orbits.

            Since the schools shut, I’ve been fighting a bit of a losing battle to get my boys playing outside more. This morning I discovered the unlikeliest of allies: ‘Boys, scientists say that staying outside helps fight the coronavirus. And if you don’t go out, President Trump’s going to come and inject you with bleach.’
That should do it. Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The stories are endless.

Leg Five - Selkirk to Melrose. Distance: 11.6 miles (69.6 total) Time: 4 hrs 58 mins. Wildlife: Rabbit, heron, jumping deer, not jumping fro...