Friday 17 April 2020

A moment to be held.


Steps walked: 15061.

Furthest point travelled: 1 mile. North Middlesex Hospital Chapel to support the Chaplaincy Team.

Face to face non-household interactions*: 18.

Track of the day: ‘Land of Hope and Dreams’, Bruce Springsteen.



*On reflection, it was a bit misleading when I was describing the things I was counting as ‘conversations’. It rather risked giving the impression that I wasn’t taking social distancing all that seriously. In fact, what I’m counting, includes talking to the cashier at the supermarket checkout, thanking a delivery driver, saying “Hello” to the staff in my local park. I’m counting them all, because right now it very much feels as if they all count.



            I’d been invited to go and pray with members of one of the teams at the North Middlesex Hospital this morning, as they prepared to start their shift. They’re working at the sharp end, and the sharp end of anything can be painful. I felt quite inadequate to be there with them, almost like an imposter.

            How would I begin to speak? How would I move from their daily briefing, into a space of prayerful silence and benediction, before they then went out to the ward and the realities of their days?

            I went to bed with something of a ‘script’ in my mind, but it had changed by the time I woke up. What follows is what I would have said if I was a more eloquent speaker. What I did say was a kind of ‘dragged through a hedge backwards’ version of the words below – still largely recognisable, but not precisely the same:



            I have two children, they’re aged six and eight. They’re dealing with this changed world remarkably well in this strange time. But my eldest, James, he runs deep, and although he’s fine during the day, it’s almost a nightly occurrence now that around three or four in the morning he’ll wake up, become restless, and then come into bed to sleep next to me. He stays restless, until I hold on to him; when I hold on to him the restlessness ends instantly and he falls deeply to sleep.

            We all need to be held sometimes, and that can be a difficult thing to think about in this time of physical distancing and separation.

            For people of faith, there is that deep sense that we are all held; by God, or the Creator, the Great Power, whatever name we use: love, love is as good a name as any for what holds us, and which never lets us go, no matter what we go through.

            We’re also called to hold on to one another. Holding on to people in your thoughts, your prayers, in your practical actions of healing and care. I’d imagine that’s something you’re very good at.

            And we also need to let ourselves be held sometimes; to be held by others, to allow them to look after us. People whose work is caring for others, aren’t always quite as good as that. You are our NHS heroes; on Thursday nights at eight I ring the church bell vigorously, my boys stand on the doorstep cheering and clapping. But sometimes when we’re heroes, it’s quite difficult to be human too, and to face the frailties of our humanity, the parts which can get tired, which can be vulnerable, afraid sometimes.

            And so I hope that his moment of silence that we’ll share now, will be a moment when we can be human, when we can hold on to one another in prayer, and when we can be held, a moment when we can allow ourselves to be held.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The stories are endless.

Leg Five - Selkirk to Melrose. Distance: 11.6 miles (69.6 total) Time: 4 hrs 58 mins. Wildlife: Rabbit, heron, jumping deer, not jumping fro...