Monday 8 February 2010

Thoughts of a Pilgrim Driver.


Today, I finally got a job to do. Thus far all my ideas of leading the rescuers to drag Stuart down from some snow covered peak have flown away on sunny skies and surprisingly mild weather. So, like the Falklands reporter I count him out in the morning, and count him back in the afternoon, and it always adds up to one.

Today, I finally got a job to do. We had only stepped through the doors of The Horshoe Inn when Stuart told me of Ian’s generosity. Stuart planted Twenty pounds in my hand and told me to go and find a charity that could use it. As with my dreams of rescuing Stu I immediately started to ponder the best way to discharge my duty of the day.

I jumped in the car and drove 100 yards (91.4 metres for technos) when I spied a young lady digging into a huge rucksack in her car boot. Now Stuart and I had just talked about how unlikely it was that we would see another walker – given the crazy time of year etc – and here she was. I jumped out of the car and told her of our breakfast conversation but it turned out that she was with Oban Mountain Rescue, had been out on exercise on Sunday, and was just trying to find her purse in the depths of her rucksack. She did however suggest that if Stuart was ever doing this again he could invite sponsorship for Oban Mountain Rescue. You can see it coming, I know. I gave her the Twenty pounds and within 5 minutes of having an important task I was back in the old routine. Nothing to do. But I have to confess it is a glorious trip and I am so glad to be sharing part of the experience with Stu even as a petrol pilgrim.

1 comment:

  1. Am quite envious and wish I could be there with you. Enjoy your time with Susie and our family and hope the rest will give you the strength for the next part of your journey. Tell Susie that I have finished the book and will talk to her about it when she comes back.
    Take care and give my love to everyone. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete

The stories are endless.

Leg Five - Selkirk to Melrose. Distance: 11.6 miles (69.6 total) Time: 4 hrs 58 mins. Wildlife: Rabbit, heron, jumping deer, not jumping fro...