Friday 12 February 2010

Home to Bishopbriggs.

Day 10: Drymen to Bishopbriggs.
Distance: 18.7 miles (175.1 total).
Duration: 7 hrs 1 mins.
Lowest Temp: 2ºc.
Weather: Take it from someone who learned the hard way – you really don’t need thermals on a day like today.
Highest Alt: 574 ft
Tonight I’m at home in Bishopbriggs.
I was born in the Midlands. Brought up in the South East. Have lived most of my adult life in various parts of London. But Bishopbriggs is a home to me.
My Mum grew up here. My parents were married here. I was baptised here. Grandparents lived here and Grandparents are buried here. More of my family live here than any other place in the country. So, although I’ve never spent more than two weeks here at any one time, this is a home to me.
Arriving here with my Elderly Uncle makes me think of all the different places I belong, or have belonged. It’s difficult for me to find a single place I can point to and say, ‘This is where I’ve come from’. Part of pilgrimage involves, I suppose, a sense of not truly belonging to any one place. All of which contributes to Susie’s quandary about where to put my memorial bench, many many years from now! As long as some of my ashes end up at White Hart Lane, I’ll be happy – except, they’re going to be moving that soon too.
At the end of this first leg I’d like to thank you all for walking this far with me, and a special thank you to all those of you who have posted comments. Whether they were words of encouragement or reflection, bits of local research or verses of poetry, humorous observations, even the Spurs-baiting – I’ve valued them all, and been helped along by your companionship.
Cairns are made when lots of different people bring stones from different places, and lay them together in one spot. All your comments are part of this pilgrim’s cairn and part of this pilgrimage.
And if you haven’t posted yet, please join us – my Mum will be happy to explain how you go about it. When this walk is over, I'll have the time to respond to your comments properly.
So this weekend – go walking, and then maybe tell me where you’ve been. I’d love to hear from you.
Tomorrow I rest. I'm tired.

3 comments:

  1. I understand your sentiments completely Stuart - have never lived in Devon but always considered it my home. Have often wondered what it would be like if ever actually lived there though....?

    Not quite sure how or when yet but one way or another (probably the latter) I'm going to squeeze a walk into this weekend so I'll let you know about it.

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. A favorite quote to honor today's milestone...
    Have a WONDERFUL Valentines visit with Susie
    love to you both, from Kiki

    And the world cannot be discovered by a journey of miles,
    no matter how long, but only by a spiritual journey,
    a journey of one inch,
    very arduous and humbling and joyful,
    by which we arrive at
    the ground at our feet,
    and learn to be at home.
    Wendell Berry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiki - thanks so much for those two sets of verses you've sent. Reallyloved them.
    Cath - get that walk in - twice round the garden will do.
    Stuart.

    ReplyDelete

The stories are endless.

Leg Five - Selkirk to Melrose. Distance: 11.6 miles (69.6 total) Time: 4 hrs 58 mins. Wildlife: Rabbit, heron, jumping deer, not jumping fro...