Tuesday 19 January 2010

What You're Thinking.

I know what you're thinking. The fortnight of walking in Cornwall is over, the month of walking in Scotland is yet to begin, so for these two weeks he's going to be lying in bed until mid-morning, and then lolling about on the sofa in his pyjamas watching 'Cash in the Attic' and other treasures of daytime tv.
Oh ye of little faith.
I’m going to try to keep a bit of discipline to the shape of my days by following a moderately monastic pattern – prayer, labour and study. The prayer will be shaped by the Cuddesdon Office Book and the rosary, both of which sustained me in Cornwall. The labour? Well, you just have to look at the garden, and there’s a bedroom that needs redecorating. The study, consists of a pile of books on Scottish history in the first millennium, folk tales from the Highlands, and Alexander Carmichael’s ‘Carmina Gadelica’, more of which anon.
Having said all that, yesterday was taken up with an assault on the pile of dirty washing which had begun to crawl out of my rucksack, a trip in to town to make my Confession, and then 'Avatar' at the cinema with Susie in the evening; so here's hoping I'm more faithful to my 'monastic pattern' today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The stories are endless.

Leg Five - Selkirk to Melrose. Distance: 11.6 miles (69.6 total) Time: 4 hrs 58 mins. Wildlife: Rabbit, heron, jumping deer, not jumping fro...