Wednesday 30 December 2009

The First Post.

On Monday I begin a three month long sabbatical. I’ve been trying to encourage the congregation to use the phrase well-deserved sabbatical, but some of them are hard to convince.

At the heart of my sabbatical is a 310 mile pilgrimage from Iona to Lindisfarne; I’ll begin the walk on February 4th and finish on the 25th, I hope.

There are many good reasons for making this particular pilgrimage, and no doubt we’ll get round to them in due course. However, if anyone can think of a good reason for walking across Scotland in February, I’d love to hear it.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on creating this blog about going for a walk. I am particularly looking forward to updates over the next five weeks while you are preparing for this walk. Do you have boots or will you be buying them? Will you be wearing 100% wool socks or a wool blend? New fangled GPS or trusty compass? So many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stuart,
    Haven't changed the church's website yet so people can easily access this blog. However, I have started to process the GPS positioning data you sent me. If anyone cares to go to Google Maps at:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

    and if they paste the following into the search box:

    http://www.allsaintsedmonton.org.uk/Stuart_Sabbatical/GE_Pilgrimage_2010.kmz

    They'll be able to see your route :)

    I guess you will have to tell us in this blog which days you are at which point?

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete

The stories are endless.

Leg Five - Selkirk to Melrose. Distance: 11.6 miles (69.6 total) Time: 4 hrs 58 mins. Wildlife: Rabbit, heron, jumping deer, not jumping fro...